Monday, February 27, 2012





Yesterday and today on Rolling Meadow Orchards...

The daughter and her hubby, Larry, are at it again!  I'm so bummed I couldln't go along!  Had some surgery last week and just couldn't ride in the car that far..it's 10 hours from here. 

Lest anyone think we must have big pockets to have done so much to this land..much less the purchase of the land itself..be reminded, this is a 2 family effort..5 yrs of savings, and my retirement savings thrown in to boot.  The orchard has been a two year project..nut trees were planted last fall..more fruit trees were on sale at Big Lots, so they're going in now..and the original plan was to have blueberries..so yesterday they planted blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries.

And, so far, all improvements have been done by us, with the help of Larry's son (the fence) and our wonderful neighbor, Mr. Billy, who has a plethora of large equipt.  Tonka Toys, my daughter calls them.  Then, last Spring we built the storage shed..a one car garage size shed..built by Larry and Darian, and Larry's cousin and his wife..along with water runs by their young son.  I mowed and planted more trees!  We all have contributed.  My husband is contributing financially..more than he and I had pledged to do. 

At one point we had thought to put our own log cabin on the property.  But then we thought, why not build a multi family home in one footprint, under one roof, but with separate and private living spaces (like a mother in law suite).  That way we could build one nice house without borrowing any $.  It's been coming together in fits and starts over the last 2+ years and I can see my gardens already..in my mind's eye.

So, this week..besides building a deck in front of the construction trailer, and planting fruit canes, bushes, and trees, the pole building is going up.  This we had contracted and my hubby paid for it with a check from his layoff pkg from work last fall.


I guess the layoff my daughter and my husband experienced last fall could be looked at as a "bad" thing..but we were expecting it, and the severance pkg's have helped us move our Tennessee project up by several years! Yay!

Here is the pole building..well, the parts, anyway!


I can just see Darian doing her happy dance right now! 
***SMILE***

No comments:

Post a Comment